Tuesday, November 20, 2012

WHAT IS WET BUT NOT WATER-- A SHOUT OUT TO THE WORCESTER EMS GUYS

WOW.  Its been a long time since I've run in the cold.  And when I say cold, I mean, 27 degrees (or less) cold.  I've already started upgrading my wardrobe to include full tights with windstopper panels and hooded shirts with ponytail ports and thumb holes! 
As recovery from the Cape Cod Chowder Challenge (39.3 miles over 2 days) and training for the Walt Disney Marathon converge, I'm relearning some lessons that I'd forgotten I'd ever known. . .

First:  Its really hard to get started when its cold.  I mean hard to want to get started, hard to get out the door AND hard on the legs when you actually start moving.  This last weekend (starting temperature 25F) found me staring outside at 6 am hoping that the sun was going to warm things up before I started.   Forty minutes later. . . I made it out the door. . . Temperature 26.  Not a giant difference. 

Second: It doesn't matter how many layers you have on. . . its still cold when you start.  And, for some reason, the pavement feels terrible on the legs.  They jar into the pavement and feel like icicles breaking apart on the ground. -- This may also be that I was headed out for a 16 miler less than a month after my 39.3 mile race. . . or it may be the cold. 
Second "b":  It doesn't matter how many layers you have on when you start, you still need to take some off at least 1/2 way through the run.  So you find yourself burdened with excess hats, gloves, and perhaps even a jacket-- I wish they made running shirts with as many pockets are bike jerseys. . . because I think I need them up here.
Second "c":  It doesn't matter how many layers you have taken off, you will it a cold patch and have to put at least 2 of them back on during the run.  Don't think the sun is doing much on a cold day?  Try running from the "sunny" side of the street to the "shady" side of the street and see if you need to add your mittens. . . I'm serious.

Third:  If it looks like water, it may not be water.  I learned THIS one the hard way. . . As you may remember, a few weeks ago, we were surprised with an early November snowstorm that dumped about 4 inches of snow on Worcester and gave the kids a completely undeserved snow day.  Training must go on right?  This marathon down at Disney is coming regardless of the weather here in Massachusetts, right?  So, I found myself outside running down the plowed streets and shoveled sidewalks.  The temperature was in the 40's, so it wasn't that cold, and things were fresh and wet.
Well, as you can imagine, as a headed into the downhill portion of Highland street by one of the high schools, I noticed some nice wet looking spots that I couldn't avoid. My feet hit the pavement gingerly, as I hate getting my shoes wet early into a run if I don't have to.  Much was my surprise when I started to slide.  And slide I did.  Down about 25 feet to the bottom of the road on my backside, sideside, and narrowly missing my frontside too.  Landing, spectacularly I suppose, in a snow bank at the bottom of the hill.
Yeah-- it must have been a spectacular fall-- how do I know, because the EMS guys who happened to witness it waiting in traffic pulled over to make sure I was OK.   I was fine, except for the pretty wounded ego, and kept on with my run. . .

New challenges. . . New running routes. . . New friends to run. . . all to cure an OLD problem.

You can help me swim, bike, run, and slide out cancer by making your donation at http://pages.teamintraining.org/ma/wdw13/ironmom

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog via TNT, but feel like we are going through lots of similar stuff. I, someday, would like to complete an Ironman. I also don't get a ton for support from my loved ones, which makes getting out to train harder.

    I hope you don't mind, but I've added you to my blogroll over at tritofit.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I wish more people did. Hope you are doing well this winter.

      Delete